Monday, September 29, 2008

A Post Made of Awesome



John Green is made of awesome. (Now if you find yourself scratching your head and wondering what the heck that means, you must not be a Nerdfighter.  But, don't fret, if you’re reading this blog, you're well on your way to becoming one.)


So, today’s post is all about John Green and his awesome books and will be brought to you
in three parts:

Part 1 - Q&A with John Green

Part 2 - Paper Towns Review

Part 3 - Special Information about his Book Signing at Books & Books

A Short Q&A with John Green:

Who pwns everything?

I'm a big believer in checks and balances, so you can't have a single individual who pwns everything, or else it would inevitably lead to a totalitarian state.

If someone suddenly threw a wad of twenty thousand dollars at you, how would you respond?

Well, that all depends on the currency involved. If someone threw 200 100-dollar bills at me, I hope I'd have the courage to hand it over to malaria research. If someone threw two hundred thousand dimes at me, I would probably die beneath a pile of dimes.

If 'they' decided to make a movie of your life, which actor would you want to play you? Hank? Yeti?

Fortunately, 'they' won't ever get to make a movie of my life, because I own the rights to my life, and I'm not interested in selling. If 'they' made a movie of my life, it would inevitably lead to me being known by people who I don't want to know me. (I would hate hate hate being a celebrity.) So I think we'll just keep playing ourselves in our little videos, at least until we go broke and sell out.

What's the most random question you can think of? Answer it.

How fast can a one-day-old gazelle run?

23 miles per hour.

Can you do the Time Warp again?

Sure, of course. It's just a jump to the left...

Now that you have experienced a small taste of the hilarity and awesomeness that characterizes this author, are your ready for more? 


Erika’s Paper Towns Review

Amazing. Words can barely describe how awesome Paper Towns is. I can honestly say that John Green is a complete genius. Every word and sentence fits perfectly and there isn’t a single line that doesn’t draw you in or make you think.

My own Paper Towns reading experience took place on a plane ride back from Japan and trust me when I say that it kept me entertained for half the flight (which is very hard to do). My sister even got slightly annoyed at me after about two pages. If I see a line I love, I usually say to whomever’s close to me, “Listen to this…” and then read it out loud. In the first two pages of Paper Towns, I had already bugged her three times. The book did not get any less remarkable after those two pages, though I restrained myself from bothering her.

Paper Towns is about a boy who is in love with a girl, but it’s also so much more than that. When Margo, randomly crawls through Quentin’s window one night – like she used to do when they were young – mild-mannered Quentin finds himself whisked away from his warm bed for a night of mayhem and adventure. The next day however, Margo doesn’t show up for school. Quentin is sure something is wrong and sets out on an adventure of his own to try to find her.

A must read for anyone and everyone, even if you’re thinking Paper Towns is not the kind of book you would “usually pick up.” Green’s distinctive voice and captivating story is something everyone can connect with in some way.

Books & Books Paper Towns Information:

Mark your calendars for October 22! John Green himself will be at the Books & Books in Coral Gables to discuss Paper Towns and more. You can R.S.V.P. (but it is not required) on the Facebook page or the Eventful page (click widget on the sidebar).

It’ll be awesome! We’ll make sure of it!

And finally, Hank (John’s brother) decided that for John’s birthday in August he would give John bestsellerdom. (It was supposed to be a surprise, but John already found out, so it’s safe to talk about.) We decided that we wanted to help out. Why? Because John deserves bestseller status and everyone needs to read his books!

So, if you pre-order Paper Towns from Books & Books, which comes out October 16th, you will be entered to win an iPod Shuffle!

If this is the first you're hearing of this "did-we-mention-he-is-awesome" author and want more before October 22nd, watch John and Hank's YouTube vlog and/or go to their website.

Special thanks to John Green for answering our questions, coming in October, and being awesome. We hope to see everyone on October 22nd!

-The YAthenaeum Team

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait! I'm looking forward to seeing him and basking in the awesomeness of the signing. *sighs* And I can't wait 'till I can get my hands on a copy of Paper Towns... I'm definitely coming

Erin said...

I picked this book up a few months ago from the bargain shelf at the local Borders for five bucks. This was shortly after I learned who John and Hank Green were through Vlogbrothers.

I opened up the book to see that it was signed, and a bookmark from this blog was stuck in the pages. So that was pretty cool!

YAthenaeum said...

Ahhhh those are the best situations! I remember leaving notes inside some copies at a B&N but I think Erika left some in our local Borders.

Enjoy the book!