Monday, August 2, 2010

Halo - REVIEW


Lorena's Review of Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Synopsis

"Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone—especially herself—from the Dark Forces.

Is love a great enough power against evil?"


Review

This has to be one of the lightest novels I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Really. I'm serious, go look at what I've reviewed, it's all drama, blood, and sex... just not in that order. Halo was a little hard for me to grasp at first, but once I got over my belief that "everyone is going to screw you over" it was an easy and even enjoyable read. I'm sure not many will have this problem.

One of, if not, my favorite part of this novel is Bethany. When she is sent to Earth with Gabriel and Ivy, it is the first time she experiences having a physical form and human emotions. Things that come naturally to us are new and strange to her. While I may not be able to describe them first hand, the way Adornetto was able to convey these "newborn" thoughts and feelings was truly amazing, and believable. Such everyday things that we take for granted such as eating, sleeping, or even going to the bathroom. To see them expressed through inexperienced eyes so accurately is something to be commended.

If there's anything I have to say against Halo, it's that I felt it was poorly paced. On more than once occasion did I find myself wanting the story, well to put it bluntly, to just get on with it. Many scenes I felt were unneeded or unnecessarily long. But that's all I really have to complain about.

Halo, other than making me undeniably happy, is just an uplifting read. It makes one think about the little things that can be done to help others. About the radiance that is found outside the shadows. It's a sweet story, a beautiful story. A story about love, and the many obstacles that it can overcome. Who doesn't want to be reminded of the goodness in the world once in a while?

Halo will be available in bookstores August 31, 2010. There are two more books scheduled in the series Hades in Fall 2011, and Heaven in Fall 2012.

No comments: